View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:23 AM   #24
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
What percentage of vinegar essence to water; 50/ 50, 25%/75% ? Do you mix them in a pan and heat ? Do you brush on the mixture and steel wool immediately or do you let it sit until you see a reaction and then steel wool after rinsing with water and neutralizing it with baking soda ?
I don't use something to make my mixture, I heat water in a pan and put the essence later in, would guess it is a mixture 10 (vinegar essence)/90 (water)% (look that your wife is not at home and open the window, strong smell) and brush it on with a dishwashing brush with natural hair until I see the reaction, first one site and than the other, when I am happy with the result I rinsing it with hot water, after this neutralizing with baking soda (you also can use soap), dry the blade (blow-dryer) and after this you can polish it carefully with steel wool. Don't forget to oil the blade after all! Like said, others will have an other practice but this works normally for me. But frankly said not every time I have had reaction, I have had it one time that a blade don't show a reaction. Don't ask me why!? A friend have etched this blade with a other solution and have get reaction.
Use the search function with etch/etching and you will find other recipes also.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 2nd May 2014 at 06:59 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote