View Single Post
Old 10th February 2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree completely with Michal, this is a 19th c. example Ausro-Hungarian officers sabre, and as Ariel has noted, most likely Hungarian. It seems to me that many of the Hungarian example sabres carry these very light, often asymmetrically mounted blades, as well in contrast with the heavy, baroque hilts and mounts. I recall always thinking these were rather 'off' when I saw them and of thinking they were badly matched in the way the blades were mounted. I have actually never quite understood why these blades were so thin and light, however they are clearly intended as dress sabres rather than fighting swords.It also seems to me that the Austrian sabres were inclined to have heavier blades that were consistant with the hilts in which they were mounted, though that may be a broad assumption (no pun intended

As noted, the Ottoman influence on sword styles was well known in Eastern Europe for hundreds of years.During the Napoleonic campaigns in Egypt the Mameluke style hilt became popular as a military officers sabre form for not only the French and British, but other European armies as well as later in the U.S. The form remains that of the traditional sabre of the U.S. Marines.

Best regards,
jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote