View Single Post
Old 16th March 2022, 04:51 AM   #12
shadejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
In fact, it is perhaps desirable that the oil does get into the wood, as it will form a barrier between the cellulose of the wood and the ferric material of the blade.
I'm a bit confused. In one of your posts you said.. "It goes without saying that I do not store my keris against cellulose material. Wood is a cellulose material. Nobody who has any respect at all for a steel blade should store that blade in such a way that it is in contact with cellulose material. Apart from which, storing an oiled blade in a wooden scabbard is a sure and certain way to stain the wood and eventually damage that wood and the value of the scabbard."

So, oiled blade in the scabbard is actually preferable, as it'll form a barrier and perhaps replacing and replenishing the wood's natural oils to add protection?

I think in traditional thought, the dress does have real cultural value. Perhaps Kesultanan Jawa (Yogyakarta & Surakarta) is a perfect example of it; how each function/venue dictates which Keris dress to use: Sandang Walikat, Ladrang or Gayaman. The color scheme of the wrongko also identifies one's status in social structure.

I'm almost positive that you've covered these topics in the past. I know I've seen them.

Sometimes people bring the Keris to complete the ensemble for royal ceremonies. Then the Keris is decorated with precious stones and diamonds. Even the sheath is made of beautifully textured wood or metal or ivory as you mentioned, carved in such a beautiful way, plated with glittering gold as the pride of the wearer.

With that said, warangka/wrongko in my opinion is an important part of a Keris. Wrongko is the first thing that people see. It may reveal one’s position in the socio-economic structure of society. In a way, it's a form of communication through symbolism.

I can relate to your parable about having multiple women Kinatah is added on to the wilah or gonjo as form of appreciation to the Keris for fulfilling its 'duty'. I think such practice is not new. So I wouldn't be surprised if people have been doing the same with wrongko ..other than perhaps because it was worn out and due for replacement.

Although I have heard that certain woods have their own 'tuah' but I cannot tell if one might or might not be compatible with certain Keris. I don't have any reference about that specific subject so I can't comment on the perceived feelings of the Keris in regards to the dress and its material. Plus, I'm not at all spiritual. Would love to figure out how to 'tayuh' though. I do fully agree that esoteric, as subjective as it may be, is an integral part of Keris culture.

At the end of the day it's as you've so eloquently put (as always) ..it all comes down to one's own personal system of values.
shadejoy is offline   Reply With Quote