View Single Post
Old 31st December 2015, 06:19 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Afghan Rifle Combination Tool

Happy New Year to All.

Here is a little item I won at auction last weekend. I believe it is Afghan made, and is one of the accessories that would have been suspended from the warrior's belt. It's a combination tool consisting of a screwdriver, vent hole pic, flint knapper, and tiny priming horn.
Many of the tiny priming horns I've seen like this are latter made tourist type items suspended with a modern chain. But this one looks like the real thing. It's all hand forged iron. This will make a nice addition to my Afghan belt.
Another interesting feature of this horn is a tiny screw, and what appears to be a seperate plate on the large end, which if removed, would be used to fill with powder. But the screw won't budge, and I don't want to mess it up. I'll let some good penetrating oil soak there for a week or two and try again. If it doesnt come loose, I'll just leave it alone. The spring action for the lever works fine.
I'm also attaching a pic of it next to my left hand so you can get an idea of the relative size. While the size is quite small, there would be enough powder for at least 6-8 primes for the pan is my guess. Or, it could be used for an emergency type "spare" for one or two barrel loads and primes. Could even be used to assist in starting a campfire.
Any comments welcome. And thanks for looking.

Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote