View Single Post
Old 19th June 2017, 07:57 PM   #3
kai

Hello Charles,

Thanks for posting! Looks like a nice Sulu ensemble - the angle makes examining the base of the blade a bit tough though.

Quote:
You can see in the last pic that the original scabbard had been meticulously carved with channels to incorporate a rattan binding. This clever work left the rattan less exposed, and less likely to get broken. It was all gone when I got it, so I restored the rattan myself.
What type of wood is this scabbard made of - very hard like banati or more medium hardness with higher resilience like narra?

Assuming that the scabbard is original to the blade and not a relatively recent replacement, I don't think that rattan binding looks en suite IMHO; I also can't remember such carved channels - if this were to help significantly, I'd expect this to show up more regularly (replacing failing rattan binding is not a big issue in a rural setting, anyway).

I do wonder whether this scabbard wasn't decorated with twisted (or possibly even braided) silver wire? Especially, if made from high quality wood!

BTW, Charles, you are showing so many exceptional pieces: I'd love to see your pics with an increased resolution for really being able to appreciate more details!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote