View Single Post
Old 25th August 2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
I think it was mostly hype in the heat of battle with hundreds of swords and shields clanging about I doubt you would be able to hear the sound of the sword. I did see an example of a Roman spear head that had a hole purposely punched through it so when thrown it would make a whistling sound that would strike fear in the enemy ranks.

Lew
Psychological warfare was used far more than realized by many. The same whistling concept was found in India, where tribesmen notched thier bullets to achieve the same effect. Arrows were often altered to also accomplish the fearsome sounds that weakened the resolve of the enemy.

Concerning the sounds of battle, I think the most resounding descriptions I have ever seen were in Keegan's "The Face of Battle". In this,describing Waterloo, and the horrendous carnage of this epic battle,it notes the constant din of bullets clanging against armor cuirasses, sword blades and helmets against so many other sounds that would accompany the clash of thousands of combatants fighting to the death.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote