View Single Post
Old 4th February 2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I
19thC Indian photography is extremely rare and sought after. There are a number of photographers known to have been in India at some pretty momentous times, and their images, if found, would fetch staggering prices, that would put to shame the two listed here.
A point of comparison, Howard Rickett is well known for being one of the top dealers in Arms in the world. He now deals (almost) exclusively in Indian photographs with his wife. I would think this transition was not just personal interest, but also finantially led.
He owns the published image of the last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar, on his death bed.
I dont think that one would come cheap.

Obviously this is is very specialized field. BUT I see a lot of this seller's 19th century pictures selling at his reserve of 10 GBP, many received no bids --- and many of these are title "ethnic" and "India."

I am still curious as to why these two particular pictures sold for so much. Far above his usual prices.

Does anybody know how to reach the buyers? Ebay blocks me from emailing them.

Certainly there is value in these pictures. This particular thread certainly points this out.

I would guess there is also a huge market for negatives and plates these images were made from. I like to look at old photos mostly to see the weapons and artifacts. It helps to establish dates.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote