View Single Post
Old 4th February 2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Are extremely valuable Bill ; at least one of these is an albumen print and I would not be surprised if the other two were not also.
Cartes De Visite from the 19th C. if they are of famous people are auction gold!

Hi Rick,

They MUST BE GOLD! Seems outrageous, but I do not understand the collecting arena for old prints.

Certainly there are people who think we overpay for old pieces of rusting metal and decaying wood!

The buyers' FB indicate they are sophisticated and knowledgeable, so I can only assume these are legit sales.

I always have a curiosity when valuable items are priced at low opening bids (10 GBP = $19.74 USD), with no reserve, like these. You have to be a confident seller, or . . . . ?

And some of the seller's other old pictures went cheap. Maybe the buyers recognized these subjects as being important people??? But the captions do not indicate this. Just a "policeman" and a "bodyguard" -- "A Sikh?"

Their eyes look a bit strange, but it may have been the long exposure times of two to three seconds.

I was going to bid at $50 USD. But . . . . . . . .
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote