Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 31st July 2015, 05:51 AM   #45
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Never lose track of the fact that Mutrah is a hotbed of faked swords !

Thank you for the excellent pictures ... I had not seen these before...nor do I have permission to show the owner details so ...You may have but he otherwise may not like it...Consider removing his photo please. Oh and I am aware of the way blades entered and exited the Ethiopian region..yes! from Europe thence to Sanaa in Yemen and since 1970 to Muscat/Mutrah and Salalah. Mutrah are quite capable of making round square or any other shapes at the swords tip...They have a workshops expert at that sort of engineering.

On a point of order ...did I ever say that Omani Battle Swords never had other blades?...I certainly believe Omani dancing sword blades were all home grown...but the Sayf Yamaani...? I dont think I have insisted upon that accreditation ...I will check my thread...and having done so No I have never said that because firstly; I have never before seen a European blade fitted to the Sayf Yamaani hilt . Secondly; I have still not pinpointed the origin of manufacture if in fact there is one place.. Perhaps it is in the Yemen? Hadramaut? Thus Sayf Yamaani...or is that just the name? It may have been made in a number of places some of which may be in Oman like Nizwa?? Certainly the original wing shaped cross section style appears to be its birthright...and copied therafter. There is supposed to be a Portuguese bladed weapon on a Sayf Yamaani rig in a museum in Muscat but Mutrah sold them that...they say... so.... I have never seen a European blade on a Sayf Yamaani until today though that is hugely suspect since that one you show, I believe, is from Mutrah in the early days around 1970.

You show a most interesting blade face with the letters SVARES on it... I dont have any idea what that is but clearly it appears to be of European make...Solingen? at a guess. It is not an Arabian weapon but looks Portuguese? thus its origin / where it was obtained I know not... perhaps you can fill in the blanks?

What is interesting is the peculiar play on the other face of the pommel which implies in my view a talismanic aspect ...Have you any idea what that may be?

The other inscription ...Is that on the reverse of the SVARES blade? ... It looks Latin.

The other sword is an Omani Old Battle Sword or Sayf Yamaani with a strange hilt made in an attempt to qualify it as a Royal Omani Hilt but with an unusual silver woven overgrip and a non Omani blade. This also looks European possibly German/Portuguese as well.

The origin of species of the Sayf Yamaani sword goes back 1000 years and more... I may be guilty of over defending that form though as I say there is no proof that other blades somehow became inserted except as I have indicated since 1970...by the Mutrah people.

The one you show is a complete rejigged hilt, hilt cover, blade and all including fine work in the scabbard etc ...Its a pity really since the blade is exceptional, old and European. Its a Mutrah Special!!

The Sayf Yamaani sword you mention belonging to the Ruler indeed has gold mounts and may be seen at my thread on this weapon http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=sayf+yamaani at #69.

Conclusion ~ It may now be shown that in conclusion;

1. The destination/rejigging of the sword at #1 was probably to be as a lookalike Omani dancing sword with extended tang on an European blade however purchased before that work was completed..Pure Mutrah done recently~ Fake.

2. By reverse engineering the sword that looks like an Omani Battle Sword; it can be seen as a European blade refitted with a spare Omani Battle Sword Hilt and Pommel, Grip in Woven Silver and accompanying Scabbard in the Omani Style. Pure Mutrah. 1970 or later ~ Fake.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote