View Single Post
Old 20th September 2009, 04:25 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

For those out there reading, and for future reference, from the week's research on this topic:

It appears there is only one known example of a gun which bears the making 'NAUVOO LEGION' and from what I understand it was documented some time ago in the Chicago area. As I have noted earlier, only a small number of these guns, the M1816' were issued to this unit. These were all confiscated shortly prior to the assassination of Joseph and Hyrum Smith at Carthage, Illinois in 1844.
It appears that these were reissued to other units by the state government, and while unclear if just a few or all these guns were stamped with this inscription, it appears the others have been lost to posterity.
There is little likelihood of personal arms being so marked, or if so, they do not seem known to those who have researched these arms, though the possibility certainly remains.

There are three known guns I believe, provenanced to the Mormon Battalion who fought during the Mexican War at the end, and I believe these are at a museum here in Salt Lake City.

The guns of the Nauvoo Legion in Utah, holding that title in honor of the Illinois unit of Joseph Smith, was officially the Utah Territorial Militia, and their weapons were privately purchased and owned.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote