View Single Post
Old 25th February 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi Detlef, congratulations with this sword firstly!! To my opinion this sword is from North Luzon from Ilocano's, deriving from the shape of the handle (seen in neighbourhood of Vigan). This type would have been carried in a leather sheath by 'lowlander officers' (characterised by wearing a uniform and an oval high pithhelmet) but they were traded around. 'Katipunan' -if you didnt know already - actually means the resistance against the Spanish and is mostly symbolised by a closed fist. I do estimate this sword from being 1850's so from that era, but therefore not specifically as a 'katipunan'example. (tagalog=lowlander=ilocano)

Though I could be (proven) off with my origin as due to trade and this is not my exact field of expertise. Anyone?

Greetings
Hi Wouter, thank you. Yes, I know what "Katipunan" is/mean and know also that many swords and daggers from this time have a handle which shows a closed fist but not all when I have a look to old threads here.
But I really would like to pin down the origin of my bolo as well an estimated age. So I am very curious what others like Lorenz think about it and can tell me.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote