View Single Post
Old 1st February 2010, 01:20 AM   #30
migueldiaz

Yuanzhumin, sorry to hear about your wife breaking her leg.

And thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuanzhumin
Austronesian migration came from Taiwan to the Philippines and then further down, this is an established fact now. But it doesn’t mean that the Austronesian people were the FIRST or the LAST ones to reach the Philippines. Some populations were already there. The Austronesian migrants brought their languages (that have often prevailed) and mixed with the people that were there before them. All along their migration road down to the South Pacific, the only place were they didn’t meet pre-existing cultures is the one where they were the first to settle that is Polynesia and its islands.
Yes, agreed

Quote:
Yes, archeology showed it first, with the discovery in many places all along the migration road of the Austronesian people of a common kind of pottery called lapita. Then, the linguists, as you say, proved that all the Austronesian languages spoken in the Pacific area by few hundreds millions speakers, are originating in the languages still spoken today by the Taiwanese aborigines - these Formosan languages showing the most archaic form of this family of languages. Then, more recently, the link was scientifically proven, through the DNA testings, mostly by the way of comparisons between Taiwanese aborigines DNA and New Zealand Maori DNA.
Indeed genetics is another confirming factor in the Austronesian migration, and the related-ness of the subject peoples.

Quote:
Migueldiaz,the first graphic you display seems to me outdated or at least uncomplete, while the second one is exact, and well showing the Austronesian migration path.
Yes, it's up to Madagascar in the west, and up to Easter Island in the east. That's truly a mind-boggling extent of a migration.

Quote:
To all : I have learned of a project of navigating this year on a traditional Polynesian pirogue from Tahiti to Taiwan and Shanghai, all along the migration path of the first Austronesian people (the other way around). Towards the end of this trip, the pirogue will stop in the Philippines and in Taiwan, then in Shanghai, arriving there when the Universal Expo is ending. A friend of mine could be associated with this project. I will give more detailed infos about it later. This adventure could give a whole new international exposure to the Austronesian culture,the extraordinary navigation skills of these poeples and their origin in Taiwan and Asia.
Presently, there's also a on-going project by Filipinos who recently climbed Mt. Everest -- that is, Bajaus built for them a barangay [buh-rung-GUY] (the precolonial boat of the Filipinos) last year, and the Mt. Everest team has been sailing said boat around the country since last year. I think this year they will take the same barangay to Malaysia or Indonesia ... again, to simulate the interisland travel of our peoples back then.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote