View Single Post
Old 25th November 2016, 09:26 AM   #20
Cerjak

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This has been a most fascinating discussion toward the dusagge (tessack) and as has been well noted, it is good to 'stay true to history', which is best achieved as we not only correct each other as required, but ourselves at times.
In my original post (#3) I made reference to the term 'Sinclair sabre' and the misnomer's reference to the unfortunate 'battle' in Norway. I would like to thank Tordenskiold for the accounts of that event, the Battle of Kringen, August 26,1612.

In researching more on this curious 'misnomer' in "The Early Basket Hilt in Britain" Claude Blair, (in "Scottish Weapons and Fortifications 1100-1800", ed. David Caldwell, 1981, pp.190-191)...it is noted that with regard to the Scottish units of mercenaries associated with these swords, "...nobody appears ever to have produced the slightest evidence to connect any 'Sinclair sabres' with it'.

As has been previously noted in the discussion here, these types of swords had been brought into Norway for militia much earlier by Christian IV perhaps 1580s or 90s. While I had noted that these were typically curved blades they were apparently straight as well.

The use of George Sinclair's name with reference to these swords seems to have had more to do with Scottish peerage and clan tradition than actual use of these by Scots in Norway, or his alleged 'leadership' of these forces.
Actually Sinclair was only a Captain according to some sources (incl. Puype as noted by Jasper), and the force was technically under the command of Lt. Col. Alexander Ramsey.
These troops were to land in Romsdal, in Norway, to travel south to Sweden to join their forces there, and their arms augmented as well. They are said to have been lightly armed, with some basket hilts and mostly lochaber axes and other polearms.

Sinclair and most of his troops were well acquainted with these areas of Norway, in fact Sinclairs clan are said to originate from these areas and his peerage to the 5th Earl of Caithness also probably played a key role in the development of this 'collectors term'. In the patriotic and romanticized Highland fervor of the Victorian era, as well as the 'basket' type hilt of these swords led to collectors of the times thus creating this term.

These type basket hilt swords were likely produced in Germany, though it is noted that many if not most were from Styria (Austria). In this case, I am inclined to think this example with running wolf would be German as I am under the impression that this well known mark was not used in Styria. Of course I would welcome correction on that note as it is simply a cursory opinion .

I just thought that this historical detail might add to our appreciation of the forementioned background on these swords.

References noted by Mr. Blair also;
"History of the Scottish Expedition to Norway in 1612"
T. Michell, London, 1886
"Die Norske Sinclair Sabler" Holger Jacobsen, 'Vaabenhistoriske Aarboger'
1934-36
I am proud that this sword has inspired a such interesting discussion toward the dusagge.
Thank you Arne ,Jasper and Jim!
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote