Thread: Afghan Pistol
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2015, 07:06 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Dear Jim,
Thank you for these historical informations. It's very interesting as up to now I had only one page to read in Tirri's book... Tirri wrote that the British established some factories in Persia. Would it be possible that the khyber guns were made in Persia and decorated in the khyber pass?
Regards,
Kubur

You are most welcome Kubur! and again, thank you for these great postings. Also nicely done on the pages on the Persian connection.
The Tirri book is a great collectors handbook, nicely illustrated but seriously lacking in text and explanatory detail in my opinion. I still consider it an outstanding resource visually.
Actually in addition to the British participation in the Persian enterprises in arms, they were very active in Afghanistan, notably Kabul, where they subsidized the Machin Khana factory. Though here the focus was on the Enfield rifles and some bayonets and edged weapons, one cannot help but wonder if any of these pistols might have been produced there.
The flintlock remained a favored weapon in tribal units, even in the fascinating 'irregular' regiments of cavalry until end of the 19th c.

The 'Poonah' horse is a fascinating unit among the very exciting study of the colorful cavalry regiments of the British Raj. When I first began collecting swords back in the 60s it was all about the British cavalry swords, and soon focused on these native regiments. Most intriguing are the hybrid weapons such as tulwars with British blades etc.

The 'Great Game' indeed was a culmination of world powers in this 'cockpit of Europe' in the 19th century, which had echoed the same kinds of conflicts through the centuries there in these Central Asian regions. As well noted, it continues as we speak, and I have had a son; son in law and grandson, all having served in Afghanistan over the past decade. I could never have imagined that when I began studying these regions almost 50 years ago!

'Shake the Trees'....absolutely outstanding data, well researched and presented...thank you!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote