Thread: For Comment #3
View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:15 PM   #10
kai

Wink

Hello Alan,

Quote:
The idea that hierarchical indicators were not in use in kratons other than the Central Javanese ones is an interesting idea.
That's not something I put forward. However, I probably don't understand why you feel this keris does not allow for hierarchical indicators - assuming that they don't need to follow Jawa Tengah mores as indicated by their differing styles to begin with?

You posit that it may be a mixed ensemble from eastern North Java. From what I can see, the fittings - except possibly the pendok - would be compatible with a Madurese origin. Does the pendok make this keris unsuitable for formal/courtly wear on Madura (say, during the 19th century)?

Quote:
What we might be able to hypothesise is that because the power and influence of the North Coast power centers had been eroded from an early date, the populace of these places along the North Coast felt no obligation to follow any lead given by the aristocracy. For instance, when Amangkurat II turned the control of Cirebon over to the Dutch in the second half of the 17th century, the old power center was split into four separate areas of control. I hesitate to name these as "kratons". Why? Because the word Kraton (Keraton, Karaton) comes from the word "Ratu", which means "Monarch". These North Coast entities were hardly under the control of any monarchs, they were under the control of the Dutch.
Ok, if you don't accept these seats of nobility as kraton, any keris from these regions/periods can't be for kraton wear, agreed. However, also Solo got under Dutch control (a bit later) and nowadays Jakarta has all real power... Today there are plenty of monarchies worldwide which got stripped of political power and still keep representative and cultural functions.

As you mention, also lesser seats of power usually come with rules - either their own or those of the dominating power. Like in Europe, there obviously were local nobilities which tended to claim as much power as they could; allegiances and relationships shifted as did their relative influence on each other; hardly anything was written in stone and new rulers were eager to claim historical legacy (either genuine or made-up on the fly if needed).

Quote:
So, if I say, "certainly not kraton wear", what I have in mind is the strict hierarchical dress code of a genuine Kraton, not the perhaps more relaxed dress codes of provincial administrative centers that do not house a monarch. But even in these administrative centers I would still expect to see some observance of dress codes.
I agree. So this wronko style would be suitable for dress codes in Madura but against those throughout northern Java, yes?

Quote:
In any case, the fact that the dress of this keris displays a variety of styles is in my opinion an indication that it was the keris of somebody who did not have the need to comply with any dress code.
Ok, I can see that the wrongko might be out of place for formal wear at the North coast. However, how robust are the underlying assumptions?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote