View Single Post
Old 30th April 2012, 08:10 PM   #42
Swordfish

Yes, this was the one to which I refered. I know that there are differences, therefore I have mentioned it only as similar. The Castillon sword has the same scent stopper pommel, but this pommel type was less in use in Western Europe than in Central Europe, where it was extensively used. The cross has globular ends, which were not or rarely seen in German depictions of the period 1400-1450, but were also in use in Germany after c.1460. See the fencing book of Hans Thalhofer of 1467 with Twohanders with the same cross type. The favoured cross type used in Germany during 1400-1450 was a straight faceted cross with expanding ends like the one I posted, and depicted in the earlier fencing book of 1459 by Thalhofer.

The blade of the Castillon sword is also broader (5,5 cm) and the whole sword a little longer (145,5 cm) compared with the sword I posted. This is 142cm long(146cm was a wrong size) with a width of the blade of 4,1 cm. The weight of the sword is 1,7 kg. If I remember right the Castillon sword had a weight of more than 2 kg when I examined it at the auction viewing.

Two very similar Twohanders (except that the cross is of round section) as the one I posted are depicted in the book Waffen im Schweizerischen Landesmuseum pic.54 and 55.

Best
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote