View Single Post
Old 21st April 2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
Omg, I have a couple of these swords in my collection. fortunately only a few percent

do you mean with "only processional use", similar Processional use as the very fine mail coat you put in a thread on this forum?

this statement varies between quite amusing and absolutely nonsense of course, I know beautiful medieval processional swords that I would love to see in my collection.

picture tower of London around 1400, length 2.70??
picture topkapi sword, palace istanbul allover length 270cm, blade 205cm x 10cm ,cross 66cm , pommel 13cm
picture landeszeughaus Graz (photo carl Koppeschaar)

best,
Everyone can do with his money, what he likes to do, but these swords have in my opinion no real value. If you can acquire a medieval sallet in not ecavated condition or a 17th century fireman`s helmet for the same price, what would you choose?

Processional use means, that these swords were only used for military reviews, and are, as said before, most often not of the highest quality.

To compare these swords with a few medieval processional swords that have survived, is nonsense.

These swords date from the late 16th and early 17th century, and were always kept in armouries, thats the reason why hundreds have survived. Alone the Duke of Brunswick had about 175 pieces in his armoury, and most have probably survived.

Attached is a photo of a real knigtly two handed sword (length 146cm) dating 1400-1450, similar to one of the Castillon find. If I would have the opportunity to acquire such a one, I would clearly prefer it compared with the giant bearing sword(and a giant price) in the Tower.

Best
Attached Images

Last edited by Swordfish; 21st April 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote