View Single Post
Old 17th October 2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Joe082

Default Corrections and clarifications

Dear all,
Thanks for the immediate response.
In my description I commited a mistake (Maths is not my forte) and wrote that the Ottoman army withdrew 497 years ago from the Siege of Malta. I must correct this to 447 years.

Ibrahim; Salaam to you. The restoration process was not my doing but I left it in the expert hands of my sword master and mentor. Like you said, following the rust removal they have been coated in transparent grease to keep out the humidity.

To Chris and Jim: The "stirrup" feature you noticed around the Nimcha's quillons and handle had nothing to do with the sword. It was just a vulgar piece of metal wire wrapped around it in an attempt to hold the blade and handle together. You can see a similar attempt around the Yataghan's handle (when they were still together).

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the estimated age of the weapons. Still; they are very precious to me. In the Knight's Armoury in Valletta I have seen identical versions of the Nimcha / Saif - See attached pictures. They are behind the Janissary (correct me if I'm wrong about the armour)

Jim Could you provide more information about the mark of acceptance you mentioned? Is it possible that any armourer marks are beneath the patina? - Don't worry, I won't dare remove it.

Regards
Joe
Attached Images

Joe082 is offline   Reply With Quote