View Single Post
Old 16th October 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe082
I have inherited two swords which have been identified as a Yataghan and a Nimcha.
Both swords were in a bad shape and have been restored. The Yataghan's wooden handle had to be replaced entirely.
After removing the rust, it was brought to my attention that the Yataghan's blade had an armourer's mark. I have tried researching various sources but could not find a match.
Can anyone identify the mark and maybe from there guess a period in history?

All I know about these swords was that they were found together in some box by my father. The only thing he knew was the area they had been found in. The same area he mentioned lies on the route taken 497 years ago by the Ottoman army and thier North African allies during their retreat from the Siege of Malta back towards their ships. Close to that site was where the final skirmish between the Knights Hospitallers; a relief force of Spanish soldiers and the Ottoman force took place.

I am really hoping that these are relics from that siege but only a positive identification can tell if they were made in that period or not.

Attached are the photos. I apologise for the mixed up order. Basically they show the swords how they were before and after restoration; the mark on the yataghan blade and the original yataghan handle.
You can notice that the handle had very small decorative marks along the border and around the dowel pins.
Salaams Joe,

Nice job saving the weapons !
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote