View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm glad to be able to add some information on this great topic, and think you are right, there has to be some kind of information on the use of this term in the warranty or guarantee sense. It would be great to know where Jean Binck got the information on the iron wire cutting test used in early Passau, but he's been notably out of touch for some time. Bezdek (p.10) suggests rather aprocryphally that the 'eisenhauerklinge' (iron cutting blade) was a process of hardening the edge learned from Islamic swordsmiths by German crusaders. While there is a degree of truth in the metalworking secrets of the smiths of Moorish Spain being carried to the Frankish smiths, it is known conversely that Frankish blades were also much in demand in Moorish Spain.
Regardless, the use of the term remains unclear in these earlier times.

The use of the term is seen in characteristic Victorian literature, in an 1884 reference on antiquities; "...the sword before us is the mael or hringmael, so called from its cutting the ring of the hauberk in twain, as the modern German 'eisenhauer' hews through the iron of the foe".

I agree that the term probably was emplaced in recalling this type of strength to the blade, and likely came about the time of the commercial conflicts between German and English swordsmiths c.1788-1810 where the 'warranted never to fail' type inscriptions were used on British blades.
Before this time, the guild marks or other symbolic marks were presumed to carry this quality guarantee without being worded.

Sabre #2 here is an even nicer example of these Arab sabres with these Majar blades. As mentioned these blades seem to have been Solingen products, and Bezdek also mentions that typically Austrian blades were made in Germany (the few Austrian makers typically marked thier name on thier work). At the end of the 18th century, this was the case with the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and it is noted in Wagner (plate 42) that the figure of the crowned, recumbent lion was characteristic of blades produced c.1791. This was the time when Leopold II was crowned king of Bohemia.

The deep channeled fullers on these seem to correspond to sabres of these East European regions around the turn of the century into 1820s. By the mid 19th century Solingen was more typically using the hollow ground type blades seen on cavalry sabres through the 19th century.

You're right, knowledge can sometimes prove disappointing when following a certain theory and it becomes disproven, but I still think your idea of the earlier use of this term may be well placed. I have checked all the references I can and cannot find evidence of a maker with this name, though we know of course it has become a surname. The period of the recumbent lion is noted earlier, and the term is on an earlier type blade, on two examples.
I think thus far, these two sabres plausibly suggest earlier use as you have observed.....sure would like to hear of other examples or references from others out there too!

Thanks for the excellent examples and discussion Dmitry!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote