View Single Post
Old 13th January 2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
While yellow can be considered a royal color in parts of Asia, most prominently in China and also in Malaysia, i believe the intention for it's use with keris is more a protective and sacred element. I am not certain that the royal connection also extends to Jawa and Bali where i often find to in association with keris. Keris boxes are often lined with the color and yes, yellow is often used when we find a keris with a ribbon or cloth tied to it. But the color does not seem to be reserved for royal use only as far as i can tell.
I found this in my internet searches on the subject:
"In Malaysia, yellow is also associated with royalty and the Malay sultans; it also represents Islam, the country’s official religion. In Indonesia, yellow is the color of Garuda, the mythical bird that is the country’s national symbol. In Zen monasteries, yellow is worn by the third most senior abbot."
Hopefully that's helpful.
Yes yellow has something to do with protection. When a keris is tied to a house beam yellow ribbon is often used and I think that is no coincidence.

Garuda is the Sun bird so it makes sense that yellow (or gold) would be its colour.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote