View Single Post
Old 12th February 2023, 03:06 PM   #18
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
Mine, currently for sale in the NL, so I won't show it here as long as the sale is up on a local classified ads page, looks very similar to this one found on David Atkinson's great source site . I am pretty confident that they come from the same maker

I am very curious of the process function of that small cylindrical piece of wood, which I think, is to secure the sheath to a belt but I am curios to HOW this precisely happens.

Mine has the same cylinder

The blade is really VERY sharp and although mine and these example shown here may be a modern production the quality far exceeds anything I have seen simply made to cater for the occasional tourist on a street market. The sword could be used in combat and as a utilitarian tool. It may not be hundreds of years old but it is a very good weapon nonetheless.

The cylindrical piece of wood with the holes for the cord is a type of toggle button, you can use it to attach to a belt, or a baldric.

I have a straight (and a curved) one myself, also well-made, chisel edged, sharp as heck, I read here in the past that the hill tribe smiths died off, and their children went to work in more lucrative positions in the city. At the time he posted here he said there was only on old man left making these for use by the tribes, and also for any tourists that came across him.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote