View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis
The photo of the spear from Madagascar has a larger head and this is typical for later examples, this one is from around 1940, spears were more prestige objects by then. The older one like yours tend to have a more javelin smaller head more appropriate for use. But still has the brass rings.
In the case of "Mossi" spear a more appropriate term would be West African.
The metal work on a HUGE space there that covers many countries was directly made or influence by Mande blacksmits. You will find similar file work and chiseling on spears from Mali/Dogon to Mossi/Burkina Faso and Hausa/Nigeria etc.
Your spears are probably 19th century or early 20th.
Thanks for all the info and images. The Ethiopian illustration provides an exact match - very nice to have.

I'm familiar with some Hausa and Fulani spears (more than familiar with the rest of their arsenals), but that's mainly been the larger cavalry lances so far. Rather than the smaller, more utilitarian spears. Point on Dogon work well taken, I remember some similar items now.

On the Madgascar one, very good points. Actually the friend who pointed me in the right direction on it, first thing he asked to see was the fit of the shaft into the head and shoe.

I'm going to try and pick up a copy of Armes Blanches De L'afrique Noire, looks very useful!

Cheers,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote