Thread: Robotic Kris
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
ThePepperSkull

Incredible piece! I've seen kris bases welded to the rest of the blade before, but this is the first time I've seen one where the weld lines are covered up by decorative/talismanic inlays. Beautiful!

How do you supposed they made their metal pommels, ron? I remember reading somewhere that some Lumad tribes (I can't recall if it was the T'boli or the Mandaya) used a Lost-wax casting method. Would this be how Moro craftsmen made theirs? Also interesting to note is the size of the kakatua pommel. A lot of the metal ones I see are the bigger, more ornate pieces to regular-sized as opposed to this one which seems a very diminutive, but field-functional kakatua size.

Another thing I wan to point out is how the fullers terminate at the tip. Instead of stopping before the top ends, the fuller continues on into the tip of the blade. I've seen this in many a fullered moro kris. Is this a sign of a blade being shortened, or were these fullers made this way to continue into the tip instead of terminating an inch or two before it?

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 6th May 2012 at 08:31 PM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote