Thread: Old Kaskara
View Single Post
Old 29th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #5
ariel

Thanks to all.
Imitation of European markings on “Oriental” blades is a bane of sword collectors. Some of them are indistinguishable from the originals and some were used so widely that the very attribution of a blade becomes problematic. For now, and as per Ed’s reluctant opinion I will assume that it is a genuine trade Solingen blade of mid-19 century. If unequivocal proof to the contrary becomes available, I shall be content with the designation of it as a local copy. I did find Kull’s blades with markings inlayed with some copper alloy, so it is good. Tentatively, this kaskara might have been created before “Mahdi rebellion”, might have even taken part in it and might have even beheaded Charlton Heston:-)

The idea of a “ doughnut” pommel may well be applicable to my example.

I looked long and hard for “goat skin twine”, found a source for hemp twine. The recent legalization of recreational marijuana in Michigan takes enormous weight off my shoulders: I am unlikely to be arrested for ordering controlled substance on the Internet:-) I shall contribute lanolin from the drug store and add dirt and sweat as per doctors orders.

Again, thanks to David and Ed!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote