View Single Post
Old 4th December 2021, 02:39 AM   #1
Cathey

Default French Mounted Constabulary Officers Sabre?

Hi Guys

Rex and I picked this sword up with a number of British cutlasses. The owner was of the view that it was a French Naval Officer’s cutlass. However, the only French sword I could find in PETARD Michel Des Sabres Et Des Epees Vol 3 Tome Troisieme that had all of the unique guard features that this one has is illustrated as Plate 336.

When I translated the French text it appears to be Gendarmerie sabers 1st Republic. The full descriptor for Plate 336, google translates as Officer's saber with bronzed iron mount enhanced with gold on its sides. Wood and leather handle, silver filigree with golden ribbon. Cap tail and virnle. 63 cm by 5 cm Montmorency blade at the heel, finely engraved with patterns martial arts and arabesques, blued and gilded. Mixed suspension scabbard lined with bronzed iron with gilded threads.

I am never completely confident in Google translations and was hoping someone might have come across one of these previously and confirm what it actually is. The blade width is over 2” and quiet short at 23 5/8”. It certainly does look more like a cutlass than a sabre.

Cheers Cathey
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote