View Single Post
Old 20th August 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thank you both!

I arrived at the Spring Brimfield market on the Tuesday and in the morning I saw someone walking away along the highway with a sheathed spear at a distance. I had been lucky in getting that long yari the preceding year and I know I cannot even frequently be the first to find these fresh-to-market treasures. It is so nice when it happens though.

But my luck had not soured, as the next morning I found this same spear was now among some other nice ethnographic items for sale in another spot in a newly opened field. Even better, the gentleman selling it had bought it "right" and was passing it along with only a nominal markup.

As you shall see below, it is another budiak, slightly larger, and with the substantial benefit of retaining not only an interestingly carved old pole but even retaining a scabbard for the blade. As with your observation Lew, the purpose of the wire becomes clear on this example. Battara, this one also shows no signs of a twist core and is also a well-made hand-forged piece.

I suspect that it is probably of the same era as the spear above.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote