Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:44 PM   #38
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Please see #13 where the link takes a look at the provenance of this style Quote"

A RARE CENTRAL ASIAN BROADSWORD

Description

A quite similar example depicted in the ninth-century fresco of a mounted Samanid ruler at Nishapur allows attribution of the form. The distinctive guardless hilt silvered or gilt, with an expanded ferrule and cylindrical grip, embossed and engraved overall with vinework, the bud-form pommel spirally fluted. The exceptionally long, straight, double-edged blade with evidence of wootz forging, a short central fuller to either side and a polygonal maker’s mark inscribed, WORK OF HASSAN [?] struck twice on either side. In its wooden scabbard with velvet covering, the locket and chape embossed and engraved en suite with the hilt, the suspension bands with openwork decoration. Beginning of the 19th century. Light wear, small area of pitting to blade. Very rarely encountered, probably a coronation sword.Overall length 101.3 cm. Condition I "Unquote>

What makes this sword seemingly difficult to get placed is its absence from museums although the Wallace has one... I tend to view the likelihood of a relationship to the Omani Battlesword as very tentative. The above expert portrayal pointing to 19thC seems possible and perhaps the work of Jewish craftsmen...either Bukharen or Yemeni. Some sort of very late influence from Omai Battlesword ..Sayf Yemaani to Bukharen or to Yemeni influence seems implausible..The Omani Battlesword did not influence Yemeni Battleswords 900 years after it is known to have been in service in the 11th/ 12thC. however may fit as a commissioned sword from Bukharen to Cairo for a dignitary and that may be the track of its provenance … I tend to suspect Mecca as the purchasing point for such a VIP weapon but am open to suggestions on this...

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 23rd August 2019 at 10:48 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote