View Single Post
Old 13th December 2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Antonio Cejunior

Default More information and Instructions as we approach deadline

Gentlemen,

Following yesterday's Mark Bowditch post just above this one, here is more information.

1. ABOUT FILLING OUT THE SPECIFICATIONS

I have updated a little bit more according to my time availability. Please check http://www.arscives.com/historysteel...ntributors.htm and click refresh.

There has been different forms of approach which led me to very tiring editing
when my time could be used in other things.

Please finish your descriptions Specs asap. Do not use abbreviations such as 20 c. It should be 20th. century.

These are two good examples of what I consider final specifications, both with or without information, depending on the cases:

Example 1:
RB1
Mindanao Moro Panabas. Moro Wars turn of the century.
Shows battle damage on the cutting edge and a bullet wound on the face of the blade. A testimony to the strength of laminated steel. Rattan wrapping with finer woven rattan bands above; simple carving at the pommell
Overall length: 65 cm
Blade length: 29 cm
Handle length: 33 cm
Scabbard length: no scabbard

Example 2:
BARONG.
Samal
tribe, Sulu Archipelago, Southern Philippines. Belonged to datu nobility and is battle piece. It has a silver ferrule. Pommel is small and made out of fossil elephant molar (to ward off evil influences during battle) and thus makes this a rare type of barong.
Date:
Late 19th-early 20th Century
Overall:
60cm
Blade:
42.5cm
Hilt:
18cm
Scabbard:
none

What are the main differences?

Mainly the date. I am more in favor of a description immediately followed by date.
Meaning:
Kris. 19th. century.

Place of origin, etc.
Measurements:
================================================== ===

2. ABOUT INSURANCE
I have all the insurance values, but will upload all of them after the selection rather than now.

3. VOLUNTEER ANYONE?
Once the pre-selection and selection has been finalized, there is no turning back. I will keep a back up page but will create a final page with all the selected items that will need a criteria to be grouped.
Once this is grouped I would need a volunteer with word doc. to please copy all the descriptions, in the sequence order of the selection by group, paste them in notepad to remove all the html codes from the web page and then again copy and paste and place bolds where they were.
This is the preparation for the final work for the catalogue.
I think this is also something very interesting and civic. Members participating in the editorial process. This is something that can be fantastic.

4. SPACE AND PRE-SELECTION

As Mark has mentioned, we may eventually be able to have more space.
See the difference between

and

It depends on a couple of things among which the budget to build more display cases and other issues that I am not able to disclose. However if this is possible will also allow for a more extensive display, and also for the appearance of a "bible" on Philippines swords as well as Thai and Laos swords plus others. I don't want to make any promises.

4. GLOSSARY
Based on final selection, I think it is imperative to assist the viewer by creating a glossary of terms. What is Visayan? What is Maranao tribe?
So a glossary should be divided into:
a. sword terms and types
b. tribal descriptions
c. all other descriptions that can be part of systhemized glossary.

5. ARTICLE ON PHILIPPINES SWORDS
Should be ready by 22 of January and sent to me. It should be based on an overall approach on the ethno-geography of the Phillipines and its history and societye/societies and zoom into swords.

This is all for now gentlemen. Please rush

Best to all.
Antonio

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 14th December 2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: I changed "imperious" to "imperative," which I think is what he meant. ;)