View Single Post
Old 12th December 2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Mark

Thumbs up

Hi everyone,

I just spoke with Antonio. We have decided to shoot for Dec. 16/17 to have a preliminary selection for the section pieces. I say preliminary because there is the possiblity of getting more exhibition space, but this needs to be explored further in terms of logistics and cost (since it would have to be renovated to contain the necessary cases, etc.). So, the thing to do is to put together the set of 35 or so pieces that everyone was planning on, but also to include perhaps 10 more in case the extra space can be gotten.

So, the hour of decision has come!

An important aspect of establishing the final selections is also the descriptions and final (insurance) photographs. There has been a huge response from you guys! I think that around 120 pieces have been contributed. What I suggest be done within this Dec. 16/17 timeframe is as the selections are made, the particular contributor of the piece make sure that the description of the piece is complete and in the correct format for easy uploading to the final section page. With so many pieces it can take an enormous amount of time to edit and re-format even small amounts of text. Plus, having pictures of a good quality resolution are necessary in order to get the insurance, and since you guys have the pieces, you need to take (or have taken) the pictures. I know I said before that quality wasn't necessary at this stage, but I partly was thinking of the initial suggestion stage, and partly had not been thinking about the insurance issue. I need to retake pictures of several of my own pieces, actually.

Here is a format for the minumum information needed for the description:

{ID#} {blade type, e.g., Barong, Kris, Talibon, etc.}, {Place/culture of Origin, e.g., Moro/Luzan/Visaya/Bogabo, etc.}, {date (even generally, such as "Mid-18th C," or "Early 20th C.)}; blade length: {cm (inches)}, overall length: {cm (inches)}. {Brief description, if thought necessary}.

This is the format we have used in the Cont. SEA section, and we didn't get complaints. Here are two examples:

9MIB. Dha-lwe, Myanmar (Burma), late 19th or early 20th C.; blade length: 31.7 cm (12.5 inches), overall length: 83.8 cm (33 inches).

IAG 01 Burmese or Thai dha from the mid-19th C. in the Shan style. Hilt is a segment of bamboo with a rich golden patina, flanked by a silver ferrule and a brass cap. The blade has a heavy patina and may be laminated. Decorations along the back edge of the blade resemble motifs on modern Thai swords.
Length in scabbard:
Length of sword overall:
Length of blade:
Length of handle:

Some of the decriptions we have are a bit too long, I think. IMO Ian's that I gave above is about right, though we have since decided just to have blade and overall lengths. I need to add them to mine, as you can see. They should be one or two sentences, saying what might be an unusual, or a significant, feature, or perhaps describing a material or technique used. Things like "An example of the classic form of a kris, made for a datu. Silver mountings, with a blade of folded steel." Think of a figure caption in a book, and remember that from a space point of view it will be three times the length, as it will also be in Portuguese and Chinese.