View Single Post
Old 12th June 2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would like to commend Will M on his tenacity in researching this sword, and staying with it, despite the volume of responses, observations and views tendered by contributors in an imoressive volume of venues.
His first queries (found thus far) began in Feb. 2002 on sfi forum; there a very spirited discussion compiled much data similar to what we added here.

It seems the quest went dormant until in Feb 2015, when again it appeared on SFi; My Armoury and in March Journal of the American Revolution.
Then twice in our venue in 2016.

It seems that considerable information was expounded in all these venues over the past 14 years, and here in the last 5 months.

What I would note is that it would be most helpful when posting a query, to add some of the data thus far acquired if not a background of previous research already accomplished rather than posing it as a new query.
It would reduce a lot of unnecessary searching by participating members as well as sharing information already benchmarked for those of us trying to learn on these weapons.

I would point out that apparently it was discovered at some point in the research of Will, that a silversmith named Wyatt was active in the Philadelphia area 1797-98. I do not have the Bezdek reference but it seems one note suggests a Joseph Wyatt.

Peterson, in his silver hilted swords reference notes an index of silversmiths who MOUNTED SWORDS. I do not have the list, but this would suggest that a silversmith would indeed have mounted swords, so a swordsmith listing for a WYATT would not be necessary.
The references for British sword or silver smiths I do not believe include those in the colonies.

Just wanted to place this query and discussion in perspective, and as noted before, still glad to see it revived, just would have liked more extant data already discussed available.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote