Thread: FRINGIA
View Single Post
Old 8th November 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Manolo and Jens!!! Exactly what I was referring to...you guys always step in to help out, and I am very grateful. One never knows where key bits of information might be found, and sharing anything might be the key.

I first encountered the word FRINGIA on sword blades noted in Eduard Wagner's "Cut and Thrust Weapons" (London, 1967) in material on pages 348-349. It appears as early as the blade of the sabre of the famed Polish king Stephan Bathory (1532-86) and seems to have continued to be seen on Eastern European sabre blades through the 18th century.

Many of these blades seem to have also carried the magic/talismanic motif which became popular on blades in these regions as well, including sun, moon, stars in varying number, style and arrangement. These features are represented in this nicely done sabre you posted Jens, and reflect the consistant use of these motifs.

Manolo, I had never heard of this word occurring on Islamic sword blades, nor the presence of Persian blade factories in Turkey, and assume this would be noted in "Arms and Armour from Iran", by Manoucher Mostagh ? I do not have this reference but it consistantly gets good reviews, as it is one of the few reference works in English on these weapons. It seems to make sense, as the Persians did send bladesmiths into other regions, India and Central Asia, and particularly I would imagine into Ottoman regions.

The FRINGIA marking seems to occur along with 'sickle' marks as well, with these devices well known on trade blades which became commonly associated with the Styrian swordsmiths. Sir James Mann, in his 1962 work on the Wallace Collections notes that not only FRINGIA, FERARA and GENOA appear framed by these markings, but some of the accompanying motif as well. Since these representations seem to be applied on trade blades to extol the virtues of the blades quality, perhaps the word FRINGIA occurs in that sense as well, and is of course equally elusive.

We still do not know conclusively the details of the mysterious ANDREA FERARA, but know that the 'name' appears on Solingen blades, often with the sickle marks. GENOA of course derives from the port of departure in earlier times for quality Italian blades from North Italy.

That FRINGIA appears in this sense on Ottoman blades seems surprising, but understandable in that by early 19th century this faltering empire was leaning toward the west in Turkey's adoption of its military fashion and weaponry in degree. Persia had become more commercial in production of trade blades (as discussed by Oliver Pinchot in his outstanding article on Assad Adullah) and certainly Turkey had similar designs in its trade oriented weapons.

I think it was Ariel who once suggested the word might be associated to the term 'ferangi', often used as we know to describe certain weapons in India with trade blades (ferangi, phirangi= foreign), which I thought brilliantly astute. The earlier use of the word on the Bathory sword would unfortunately appear to defeat this possibility, and I'd like to know more on that.

On a more contrived note, Wagner (op. cit. p.348-9) suggests that this term is actually an acronym "
FR= Fredericus III, Holy Roman Emperor 1415-93
Rex= Hungariae
IN
Germania Imperator Augustus

FRINGIA

Plausible? Yes.......but, conclusive, far from it.

The many variations of spelling ; FRINDIA, FRINCIA , FRANGIA may be the typical instances of misspelling characteristic on trade blades carrying spurious markings and names, but in earlier examples in context might weaken the acronym theory.

Well gentlemen, these are what little I have known on this curious word that stands on so many blades to taunt us, and my thoughts in line with the posts Manolo and Jens have added along with the known material I have seen.

I encourage all out there reading to think on this, and try to recall perhaps a place name, linguists, a word or term, perhaps a historic figure.....any of these that might offer clues.
All thoughts and ideas will be gratefully received, please join in on our little mystery!!!!

Thank you again guys!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote