View Single Post
Old 21st October 2022, 03:16 PM   #19
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Definitely pictures help.
This is a tough one as while the British 1796 was effectively replaced by the M1821 saber with a cut and thrust blade with 'spear point' instead of the radiused hatchet point....it continued in some production later for native cavalry in India.

The German M1811 is similar to the British 1796, but the earlier, the 'beefier' is the general axiom. These also were produced in great number and actually even used up to WWII.

The thing is, both England and German suppliers were sending both gurade and shotel blades to then Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) in in latter 19th into 1930s.

The thing is, whether early British or German examples might have ended up in Ethiopia. For the most part, it seems unlikely as most of the emphasis for blades was for broadsword (kaskara) type blades, however later in the 19th century into 30s blades for gurades and shotels became popular as the colonial struggles continued with Great Britain, France, Germany and Italy.

The factor involving other sources for blades into North Africa in some degree is India, and trade action always provided potential for incidental numbers of blades that may have come from there. For the most part these I would regard as anomalies, but the later influx of British and German blades of course are a bit more recognizable.
Actually, now that I've put the gurade and the 1796 (at least I assume it is one; there is a barely visible JJ Runkel signature on the spine) side by side they're clearly very different; the fuller on the gurade is much narrower, shallower and shorter, it doesn't flare quite as much, plus the gurade has something like an "Indian ricasso". And as noted, the distal taper is not as abrupt. Not sure why I never noticed all those other differences before.

Perhaps the gurade's blade is local manufacture?

I really need to get a better camera, but for now here are the pictures. I added in my Shotel and the 1796 for good measure.

I've noticed that both the gurade and shotel are set into the grip at a slight angle. Presumably this is to aid edge alignment?

And also, both of these swords and a modern made Afar gile that I have are impossible to get into their scabbards. I barely got them out when I first received them. Is this a common problem? The gurade's is very tough, I think it's hide. Not sure what that odd cutout is for at the top.

Finally, what is the hole right beneath the flare of the pommel for? Presumably it has something to do with the construction, but it's at the wrong side for it to be a rivet.
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote