View Single Post
Old 17th October 2022, 11:40 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Teo, Im glad to see you come in on this, and your research and thorough insights on weapon forms is formidable as I have learned all these years.
I understand what you are saying, and quite honestly most of this came from various collectors in the years when I acquired my example (about 1996).

I do not think these were ever in Morocco in any great numbers, and as we have noted over the years if they had been significant there, they surely would have been included in Buttin (1933) which was written some time before that date while he resided there.
It seems that Tirri(2004) noted that these 'Berber sabers' were examples from the 'Rif' wars in the 1920s. However there is no specific mention of why these machete/sabers from the Caribbean regions would be in the Spanish protectorate or colonies in Morocco. I cannot cite a source for the suggestion of conscripts or volunteers, but it was something I recall hearing or reading.

Alain Jacob in "Les Armes Blanches du Monde" (1985) includes one in the Hispano-Moresque chapter. It does seem most references concur with your Dominican attribution, but these do seem to have circulated in other Spanish locations.

It is a good point about why would forces going to Morocco take their own weapons, unless they were indeed volunteers. While these Caribbean regions were independent, there were notable populations of Spanish immigrants from what I have understood. It would of course take more research on these events in the Rif to learn more on the forces. While these were clearly 'machetes' , which would seem odd to carry to these Moroccan regions , if irregular forces they would have used what they had.

Returning to the original topic, why would a scabbard feature from Morocco end up in Ethiopia or vice versa?

Page from Tirri, and Oriental Arms describing these as Moroccan 'Berber' sabers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 18th October 2022 at 05:33 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote