View Single Post
Old 17th October 2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Thanks to all for the very informative observations. I also thought that the scabbard was unusual and picture worthy(even though I didn't know why). The stitching also looked a bit out of the ordinary as well; am I wrong?

To me the scabbard is one of the great features here, and it seems Ive seen that stitching method before, I thought on the curious types shown in "African Arms and Armor" (Christopher Spring). It shows Ethiopian gurade with similar scabbard but with vertical handle at tip to hold as blade withdrawn.

This same type scabbard occurs on the curiously hilted sabers which were deemed Berber and from Morocco. Actually these were from Cuban regions and used as machetes, and were with conscripts who were sent to to Morocco by Spanish in insurgencies there in 1920s.\

Note the use of old British M1796 blades which were heavily reprofiled at tip.
I always thought it unusual to see this type of scabbard with gurade as shown in 'Spring', but given the trans Saharan trade networks, we see examples such as the s'boula come up to the east as far as Zanzibar.
Interesting they also occur in Ethiopia, so clearly there was a linear route which took Moroccan materials there.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote