View Single Post
Old 28th September 2021, 12:04 AM   #7
Saracen

Ariel is absolutely right as always). Both are Yemeni Jambiyas. Just the first one is a little Saudi).
Stephen Gracie writes that the type of this handle comes from Yemen, from the Hodeidah region. Since 1960, as a result of unification conflicts, the production of these Jambiyas has moved to Jeddah. And completely ceased in Hodeidah by 1980.
Robert Elgood defines this type as "...from the Asir or Tihama", that is, from the southwestern region of Saudi Arabia or the region along the Red Sea coast located in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Both cities are located on this coastal plain.
Due to the use of false filigree and an alloy with a high copper content, I think that the Jewish jewelers had already left when this jambiya was born).
I don't read Arabic, but I remember the spelling of some words (when I'm lucky enough to recognize them). The upper right word in the inscription is amal (worked, made by). At the bottom (I can be very wrong) I think Jeddah. It's too short the word to be anything else).
Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote