View Single Post
Old 15th January 2018, 10:09 PM   #7
Philip

Default the "natural" look

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Marius,

I couldn't agree more. I don't think this is the original or "natural" state of the barung. I did this dark etch ONLY for the sake of photography and showing the complex twisting on this site. I will eventually tone it down to a more natural look just as you suggested.
Robert Cato, in his book Moro Swords (1996), states:
"Blades that are still found in the Philippines are often dusky in appearance, not bright. They frequently exhibit some form of patterning on the surface of the blade. Acidic chemical agents such as various indigenous citrus fruits, were used on the blade right after completion, and in later cleaning. These substances darkened the overall surface of the blade, while at the same time, highlighting the layers of various metals within it." (p 20)

Robert had done field research for this book in the southern Philippines and I was fortunate to have been able to discuss this with him. When he eventually sold his collection I had the chance to look at a few pieces that did retain at least a modicum of the original patina and were not sandpapered bright like so many on the market today. The patterns appear in shades of brown to gray-black. This is consistent with what I have experienced when trying some plant-based etchants, which however are more difficult to get a consistent effect with than the method you used on your barong, which turned out beautifully from a metallographical standpoint.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote