View Single Post
Old 27th November 2017, 05:29 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Montmorency

I have been puzzling over the term 'Montmorency' with this sword. As I noted previously, the term Montmorency was one I always noted in collecting British cavalry swords many years back. It was clearly a cross section which had an extra groove along the back of the blade in addition to the hollowed fuller.

I had never really pursued what the 'Montmorency' was for, assuming it was simply the name of someone who invented the form.

In trying to discover more here, all I can find is that this cross section and type of blade was attributed to a Count Cloiseul de Beaune who was of/or commanded a unit called the Montmorency dragoons c. 1710 + It was said these were made at Klingenthal.

This blade style apparently remained obscure until the 1780s, around the time of the French Revolution in 1789.

Apparently this unit was still active in these times, and the blade type, being more effective and stronger attracted attention enough it was used in swords for the 2nd Chasseurs c. 1799, and in use Napoleonic years IX and XI (1801, 1803). By 1822, the blade type became regulation in the M1822 cavalry sabre.

In one entry, it is noted the blade was used by the 'OLD' dragoons Montmorency and the 'Eveche' (1788).

I do not know what 'the Eveche' means, but would really like to know more of this French dragoon unit, and why it is named 'Montmorency', and more on the blade form.

I hope those out there keen on Napoleonic and French patterns might shed some light on this.

Norman, I had never heard of a 'little Montmorency' until now, and clearly there is a lot of history behind this. Thank you again for posting this wonderful example, and the great pages illustrating related examples of these French swords.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote