View Single Post
Old 11th May 2016, 01:04 PM   #5
kronckew

kaskara arrived today, it's VERY sharp for the 3/4 of the slightly springy blade from the point. last quarter nearest the guard is unsharpened. leather strip winding over the languet on the grip and for the last inch or so of the leather covered disk pommel. the blue yellow decorations do appear to be thin plastic strips woven thru slits in the leather. couple of small areas along the edges of light active red rust. the black areas are very thin & not pitted there are a couple small areas that are pitted but appear the black rust form, not red. the guard appears to have been made in two halves and the arms forge welded together to fit around the blade & grip wood with a lenticular opening. the 'fly' stamp on the blade fuller is repeated on the other side, but under the blade side languet. i've brass brushed the red oxide and ballistol'd the blade & guard. fits the scabbard tightly, but seems to be loosening a bit as i draw & return the sword.

blade is 90cm. point to guard 140cm LOA. it's 4.2 cm. wide at the guard, has a 4mm edge at the guard slightly thicker as it approaches the wide fuller. blade is distal tapered. (can't find my digital micrometer ) sword weight is 950 grams w/o the scabbard.

some photos of the guard & grip area:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 11th May 2016 at 02:14 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote