View Single Post
Old 7th November 2023, 08:00 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
This is an extremely attractive sword, and though I have VERY limited knowledge in this field of collecting, I wanted to seize the opportunity to learn a bit from you guys. I did a little looking online, and found that NIAS is an island which is among the archipelago off W. Sumatra by that name in the Indonesian complex.

It seems the term BALATO might be the term used from what I found on Wiki, but unclear whether that is the proper term, or perhaps a tribal group.
Other swords of this general form such as the Golok of Java and the Chunderik/CoJang of the Aceh seem to also use the term 'klewang' in sort of a collective manner.

Obviously nothing to do with Moro's (of Phillipines) but does seem to fall into the 'klewang' scope, the examples of these Nias associated seem to be invariably classed as 'rare'.

It was noted that on this island (Nias) during WWII, a number of escaped German prisoners occupied the island, but not sure the duration of that situation. Is it possible this might be from that period or later from possibly further German presence?

What is there in particular that distinguishes one of these from other klewang types to Nias?
Thank you Jim! I am not an expert on these swords but here is the little bit I know. Balato is the name of the sword but there are a lot of other names, they will differ from village to village. You can distinguish between North and South Nias swords, mainly by the handle style. And, but this is my own assumption, there are the head hunting swords which are very imposant with their lasara handles and the charm balls at the scabbard and the plain daily use swords like my one. But like said, take it with a grain of salt, it's my assumption.
From the occupation from German prisoners I never had heard but will research about it.
I guess that my sword is from the WWII period.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote