View Single Post
Old 11th May 2023, 01:05 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Fernando well observes, most swords such as rapiers, small swords were fashionable accoutrements of dress, and as status oriented and representative of a mans honor and chivalry embellishment and decoration was important.

While a sword 'could' be used to fight, most often they were worn in a deterrent sense, to display the formidability of the wearer.

There are various methods of structure in cuphilts, but it seems the screws usually entered the cup through the bottom into the pas d'ane rings passing through the guardopolvo. There were of course two as here, but it does seem as with most weapons the character of elements such as screws depended on availability. Pommels too were elements often interchanged, and I have seen many cases where these are incongruent with the hilt style overall.

These unusual domed or the open ring seem like types seen in the locks of firearms of these periods to me (though I admit that is a lay opinion as I dont know gun works that well).

These swords were often reworked in their working lives, obviously especially if damaged, but clearly this had the wire redone. Just wondering if screws from gun locks might have been an option during refurbishing.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote