Thread: KAMPILAN LUMAD
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2022, 11:31 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default Kampilan Lumad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
Great piece! The brass inlay could be where they “trapped a spirit” in the blade, be a talisman, or just decorative. I don’t know enough about the Lumad to help in the correct Id on that point. The hilt is very interesting. Does it have a Staple in the cross guard? Also the scabbard looks like it could have had coins placed in the row of holes in the center?? You might want to gently etch the blade to see if there is a clear pattern in the steel.

Great gift from your dad!!! Congratulations!!
Hello. Thank you very much for your congratulatory note!

1) no, it does not have a staple on the cross guard. Instead, on the cross-guard, there's a brass/copper wire (quite thick) that holds the hilt and the blade in place (cross type- upper left to lower right, then lower left to upper right). The blade is somewhat 'wedged' into the wooden handguard.

2) interesting though, is that when I lightly cleaned the blade- there are talismatic inlaid inscriptions (right side of the blade: the first 6 inches from the hilt/cross-guard, then the last 8 inches from the tip of the blade). you can see the very faint inscriptions on one of the pictures (the one showing the hole with bronze). There are no apparent talismatic inscriptions on the left side of the blade.

3) quite a heavy piece with an over-all length of 44 inches with a 33.4-inch blade.

Kind regards

Yves

Note: I will try to picture the inscriptions tomorrow morning (it's night time now in manila) and share them with you.
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote