View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 05:21 AM   #17
Nagawarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Naga;
I was under the impression that your Radio Shack was used to replace the arsenic substance (I had no idea you ment the acid). For the acid itself you can use lime. (locally they use the small green ones). This acid is used in the first step, as in cleaning your tombak. Once fully done (might take days) you will have a nice "white" tombak..then you start "staining" . Just google "warangan", you find some pretty good descriptions of the process in the first hits.

I'll try to dig up some uncleaned (old) blades as "practising material" and will post them for you in the swap forum if needed. But please keep in mind that some of us (including myself) have some kind of respect for these sharp old things, so please do handle your blades likewise.
Yes doecon, the Radio Shack etchant is used in place of the arsenic mixed with lime juice. I use pinapple juice and soak the blade and rub with a tooth brush to clean. Finally I use the etchant to bring out the pamor. I have a complete instructions, I believe they were posted on this forum in the past. I just substitue the arsenic with etchant. It really doesn't work very well on Keris. I've had great results on other types of swords.

I appreciate the reminder of the great reverence that one should have for these important cultural objects. I'm trying my best to show respect by wanting to properly care for them and learn as much as possible from this forum. Sometimes I feel I'm a bit clumsy in this process. I hope no one feels I have acted with any disrespect. If so I certainly apologize.
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote