View Single Post
Old 10th January 2009, 04:05 PM   #48
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
That's a bit odd if it should be Dusun as they didn't produce ilang themselves but acquired them from Sarawak or mostly Kalimantan?
The parang they did manufacture is the gayang with flat sides and usually ornaments on both sides.
Maybe your parang ilang is from one of the coastal tribes in Sarawak instead of Dusun?

Michael
I don't think so, the reason why I think its Dusun ( or Kinabatingan area at least) is that I saw two sword in the KIT wich are in style like mines however mines is a more simple one. They are both decribed as Kinabatangan river. The description in the KIT are mostly very secure. Also the handle has the shape of plate 151 in Hornbill and dragon ( described as Dusun) a lot in common with my example. The Dusun was as far as I know the tribe who lived there in that area. You can recognize them on the triangular shap of the handle,the zig-zag line what mostly on handle and sometimes also on scabbard,the mostly grooved hooks in the carving and the scabbard what wears a square plate with carvings in stead of the mostly triangular shape of other tribes.Mostly carved with flowermotifs or stars.
Can you show me an example of the parang Gayang?

Arjan

see link http://collectie.tropenmuseum.nl/nBa...=&culturenode=
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote