View Single Post
Old 28th December 2008, 10:09 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

First of all, welcome to the Forum, Anandalal.
Now, let's see what we have here, that may be answered.

This pistol size is considerable, with 14 cms barrel length; the caliber rounds 11 mm. It is not so heavy, though.
I would say that, pistols and revolvers having a lanyard ring, sugest that they are military pieces, rather than only for mounted forces; but this is not an absolute rule.
Belgium origin ? maybe yes, but there are no proof marks in it; and even cheap stuff from Belgium usualy bears proof marks. Again this is no absolute rule.
Eventually i have just noticed that the little mark on the barrel also appears on the hammers bases so, for sure, they are intentional marks, although they may belong to some regional maker.
I don't think that at any chance those intriguing rods are or were once ramrods. They are 'too many', being a pair, and are too rigid to spring off the lugs.
BTW, the sugestion that they would lack a wider diameter in the tip for better handling, would not apply to this type of gun. You are referring to an ejection rod, due to cartridge chamber generation, whereas in this muzzle loading version, the wider part would be in the front end, to ram the charge into the barrel. One crazy idea would be that their purpose is to avoid dirt from easily geting into the two separated barrels ... a crazy idea, i said .
Both barrels are smooth bore.
The uni trigger technique is as i called it, sofisticated, but non troppo. Its action has no mistery; it will activate the hammers that are cocked at one time ... either one or both simultaneously. As this is a single action gun, it's up to the shooter to select what will happen. The right hammer shoots the top barrel. The hammers have two positions: full cocked and half cocked; but you can't call the late a safety position, as it is able to fire in such case ... at least presently .
Thank you for having posted your opinnions, folks; ready for the next ones.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote