View Single Post
Old 1st October 2015, 10:41 AM   #28
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Dudgeon Dagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
@Ibrahiim,
not mentioning the source and content was actually not indicative for the maryrose relics.
it was more the lack of citation of the art pictures of your post 15 and 16.
evidently also drawings from the 20th century which are rarely representative for medieval, 14th and 15th century arms.

Also the ballock type of post 1 does not apply on those images, however some nice other types do.
with the different dagger threads, I (try to) make a distinction between the various daggers, so also between different ballock daggers.
the type of what is being discussed here has a distinct geometric multistage blade, all likelihood resulting from the dagger legislation in the cities.
I was hoping for more examples and details of this specific type.
(attachment is from collection of Dutch army museum)

best,
Jasper

This is the first mention you have made of #15 and #16. I consider these pictures relevant only as background interest information..Like the excellent artwork for the Mary Rose ...
You may wish to construct them into a portfolio and in which case they can easily be traced...The computer went off line and when I re engaged the machinery they couldnt be retraced. Note that I placed a first picture which unfortunately reorganised itself in another part of the post where I indicate "The first picture shows a set of differing styles for comparison".. Note that I don't write only in the exact blinkered brackets of precisely one steriotype but may on occasions absorb and illustrate other interrelated forms as development and comparison ...and where blades morph and change down the ages. A great example is the development of the Scottish Dirk. That is how I perceive Forum...and for meaningful discussion.

This is Medieval Artwork and as such is not copyrighted being hundreds of years old...even taking the date of copyright early in the 20th C ...Meanwhile I will continue to search for the source and if I find it /them I will post...or let you know...

I note from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollock_dagger The bollock dagger or ballock knife is a type of dagger with a distinctively shaped shaft, with two oval swellings at the guard resembling male testes ("bollocks"). The guard is often in one piece with the wooden grip, and reinforced on top with a shaped metal washer. The dagger was popular in Scandinavia, Flanders, Wales, Scotland and England between the 13th and 18th centuries, in particular the Tudor period. Within Briton the bollock dagger was commonly carried by many, including Border Reivers, as a backup for the lance and the sword. A large number of such weapons were found aboard the wreck of the Mary Rose. The bollock dagger is the predecessor to the Scottish dirk.

In the Victorian period weapon historians introduced the term kidney dagger, due to the two lobes at the guard, which could also be seen as kidney-shaped, in order to avoid any sexual connotation. (Blair 1962).

The hilt was often constructed of box root (dudgeon) in the 16th and 17th centuries, and the dagger was sometimes called dudgeon dagger or dudgeonhafted dagger in this period.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st October 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote