View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Cathey

Default Decipher script on Left Handed Dagger?

In my continuing hunt to pin point the origin and decipher the text on this dagger I found a very similar example (although in much poorer condition) that sold at Thomas Del Mar in June and is apparently English 1660. With this information I have updated the description of my dagger as follows:

Left Handed dagger circa 1660,possibly English.
Iron hilt comprising a pair of short quillions with flattened globular terminals, large compressed side ring, and flattened spherical pommel, decorated with foliage and various birds in silver relief. Ornately engraved tapering blade with 3 panels of words in Latin, A knight in Armour, various birds and foliage. Grip wrapped in silver wire with Turks heads top and bottom.

At this stage I agree with the general view that the text is Latin and may come from the Te Deum. I managed to find a full translation of the Te Derun in English; however given the style of the script I am still unable to be certain of the exact translation.

I have re-photographed the three passages of text on each side with a high macro lense and I am hopeful that someone might have another go at interpreting the possible translation. The first two passages on both sides appear the same, the third however appears different.

Cheers Cathey
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote