View Single Post
Old 9th September 2010, 08:25 AM   #16
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I was drawn to this keris for the very aspects you describe .
It is a terrible Tooth, yet lovely .
Yes I agree... the utilitarian aspect of a weapon is often times overlook... like the Bowie... to the uninitiated its size & form can be so lopsidedly unproportionate that it has been described as comical... it is only when you understand the dual purpose origin of the Bowie as both tool & weapon that you would be be able to aprreciate it better.

Quote:
In the Kruwingan(?) the metal is formed into parallel wrinkles running their length.
Need to look at this again in detail cant see it at first look...

Quote:
I was curious...
...was it forged in Sumatera ?
I must admit that I lack a fine eye for detail like many here... Maybe Alam & BluErf can comment more on this... The other problem is that Malay Keris forms do not have the kind of precise pakem conformity as would Javanese and other Kejawen (Javanese influence) pieces. In fact it is not wrong to state that it does not have the same kind of conceptual grasp of the term pakem as Pakem is seen and adhered to in Java, Bali etc...

I can only make a guesstimate from what I can see here of the blade material and the ricikan/bunga krawang that it doesnt look like it is a Peninsula anak alang form or manufacture. However, I am uncertain of whether this is a Riau or Sumatran form. I am leaning towards Sumatra in form & manufacture at a guts level though..

I am afraid thats the best I can do Rick...
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote