View Single Post
Old 8th September 2010, 11:32 PM   #9
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I think I'll throw this photo up for comments from members who may have not seen it before .
Is that A Ganjar Se-iras?

Anyway, from the stand point of the asthetics alone, some peopl may have a bit of a quarrel with the form of this blade... but from the utility point of view, this keris is wonderful. It serves a combination of 2 purposes... The slimness & length makes it an excellent stabbing weapon while the bent rather then a true curvature, will give it zero angle of attack in combat, a feature that I believe is highly prized in a fighting blade amongst the Malays & the Bugis.

The fullers too makes this blade terribly firm and strong. This would be a non pamor blade... Besi Hitam Sebatang, literally Single Black Metal.

Though it might offend the sensibilities of some to describe and analyse the utilitarian aspect of the keris... it is essential that we do so for Malay and Bugis kerises as in these 2 cultures, the evaluation of the keris from a utilitarian aspect just as much as the asthetics was consdered of great importance. Although a Keris in Malay and Buginese culture has many other socio-cultural functions, it has never transcended away from is deemed as its basic aspect as a weapon.

Even now, to view and then called out a Malay or Bugis Keris with prominent utilitarian features with such terms as Ganas - Brutal is acceptable and seen as a praise and not deemed an insult at all. To use the phrase ganas tapi menawan/cantik (brutal but atrractive/beautiful) or ganas tapi gemalai (brutal but elegant) is considered a worthy praise.

So my friend your blade is in my humble opinion praise worthy for being able to straddle both the asthetics and the utilitarian.. ganas tapi gemalai brutal but elegant..
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote