View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

[QUOTE=Ronin 47]I hate to do this but Arabian weaponry much less any weaponry from that part of the world is not really my area of expertise, and I would appreciate it if someone could please PM a rough going price for these Arabian sa'if's with European trade blades. This is not for resale purposes but I think I overpayed and I would like to know by how much, I have been looking through past auction house records but I can't seem to find a similiar example to go on. Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE

Hi Austin,
Actually, if you like the sword, and since you have already acquired it, it really doesnt matter what you payed. If you were selling the sword there may be obvious concern. Since you have noted you know little on Arabian swords, your purchase of this one, as well as your desire to learn more on it indicates you clearly developing an interest in them. This is a good thing, as by sharing your weapon here we all benefit by learning more on them.

Obviously the matter of price is a matter of extremely subjective opinion, and without going through professionals, you may expect a wide array of answers.
Thank you for observing our protocol concerning valuations by specifying PM use on this.

I will say, in my opinion, this seems a relatively unusual Bedouin sa'if with what appears, as Ward has assessed, a European blade of probably 18th century, with 19th century mounts.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote